Among the more interesting release goals:
- GCC 4.3 as the default compiler on all architectures
- Switch /bin/sh to dash
- Prepare init.d-Scripts for dependency-based init systems
- Support for python2.5
- Transition to Perl 5.10
Lenny will ship with GNOME 2.22 while the status of KDE has not been decided yet (whether it will include KDE4.1 or not). A freeze of non-essential toolchains and libraries is now under way, with a full freeze expected to take effect in July.
Here is the current release schedule:
- Early of June 2008 – Freeze of the non-essential toolchain
- End of June 2008 – Freeze of all library packages
- Mid of July 2008 – Full freeze
- September 2008 – Release lenny!